Sunday, May 15, 2011

Baked Oatmeal

This is a recipe I just had to share with everyone, and I really hope you will try it. It is so easy to make, it's quite healthy, and very filling. It lasts in the fridge for a few days so it is really good for busy weekends or school days!



Baked Oatmeal


1/3 cup butter
2 eggs
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
3 cups oatmeal

Melt butter. Mix butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs. Add milk, salt, baking powder and mix well. Add the oatmeal last. Bake at 350 for approximately 1/2 hour.

I of course alter this recipe because I alter all recipes. It's just what I do. So here is what I have tried and liked........

* add 1/2 cup apple sauce and change butter to 1/4 cup
* no matter what, add 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon!
* top with shaved almonds and cinnamon.

Serve warm the same day or refrigerate and heat up in the morning. We have topped ours with bananas, apple sauce or my favorite.....take a can of peaches and warm them on the stove with some sprinkled cinnamon and sugar. I hope you enjoy, let me know how it turned out!



Go ahead, make it tonight for Monday morning, it's a great way to start your week!

Enjoy,

Tannis

1 comment: