Thursday, January 19, 2012

Soup on a cold day!

Now that winter has officially arrived in Winnipeg, bringing us snow and cold weather (both of which I could absolutely live without!), I think we all need to eat more soup! It is healthy, hearty, hot and good for us. Soup is something I don't think we should ever use a recipe for, because it is so easy to make, but I am going to provide one here as best as I can!

Tomato and Potato Soup

2 tbsp butter
2 onions chopped
4 cups potato peeled and chopped
1 1/2 cups celery chopped
1 1/2 cups carrots chopped
2 cloves garlic (or more if you love garlic)
1 tbsp Italian seasoning (or add basil, oregano, thyme and salt and pepper)
1 tbsp corn starch
2 cups of milk
1 19 0z/540 ml can of tomatoes
1 1/4 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp tomato paste

In a large pot, melt butter, add onions and garlic (yum), and cook for a few minutes. Add cornstarch and the rest of the vegetables, with the chicken broth and seasonings. I also add a bay leaf now. Once the vegetables become slightly tender, add the tomatoes, the tomato paste and the milk. If you would like the soup a little thicker, take out a bit of the liquid and dissolve some cornstarch, and add back to the pot. Simmer uncovered for approximately another 30 minutes.

If you wish to add or delete any of these veggies, go ahead, the recipe will still be awesome!

I wish I had a picture to share, my apologies for not giving you one. I hope you will try it though, because it is so yummy! Of course it is better with a scone or a lovely slice of bread. To all my meat eating readers, sorry I can not help you with meat recipe!

Have a happy day and thank you for stopping by!

~Tannis~

No comments:

Post a Comment